< Back to Mary's Blog
July 27, 2017 12:42 am
Whether it’s an impromptu road trip or a European vacation, travel is fun and exciting. But with cyber-crime on the rise and an empty home a target for thieves, traveling families should take extra precautions to keep themselves and their homes safe while away.
USA Today offers 10 safety tips worth reviewing before you pack your suitcase:
Stop mail and newspapers –
There’s no bigger tip-off of an unoccupied home than newspapers piling up on the porch or mail overflowing the mailbox.
Remove the spare key
– If you hide a spare key, remove it from its hiding place. Too many thieves know just where to look.
Ask for assistance
– Bribe someone with home-baked cookies if you must, but ask someone you trust to drive by every day or two to check that all seems normal – perhaps even water your plants or bring in any advertising flyers left on the doorknob or in the driveway.
Don’t announce your trip on social media
– You may want your friends and family to know that you’re embarking on a trip, but you have no idea how many people you don’t know will be reading those messages as well.
Purchase a light switch timer –
Program it to turn a few lights on and off automatically throughout each 24-hour period.
Check the curtains
– If you normally leave them on during the day, don’t close them. Drapes and curtains uncharacteristically closed for days or weeks can be another tip-off to thieves.
Leave an itinerary
– Provide someone with your mobile number and itinerary, including hotels, so you can be reached if necessary. Check in with this person every few days, especially if your itinerary changes.
Scan your passport –
If traveling out of the country, scan a copy of your passport, e-mail it to yourself and take a photo of it to save on your cell phone. You’ll have it if the original is lost or stolen, and getting a replacement will be easier.
Pack/replenish your emergency car kit –
If on the road, include a first-aid kit, blankets, some non-perishable food, a flashlight, and bottled water.
Don’t flash cash
- Keep your cash separated, with some spending money accessible but the rest hidden, so you don’t expose a wad of cash every time you pay.
Published with permission from RISMedia.
|Each RE/MAX office is independently owned and operated |
RE/MAX 440, PA
If you are a home owner in the Blue Bell area and are thinking of placing it on the market, this site contains information about preparing your home for sale, selecting the right agent, pricing your home appropriately, marketing it effectively, going through the inspection processes, and receiving a timely market evaluation. This site features houses and condos for sale in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Looking for property in and around Blue Bell, Pennsylvania? Residential, Commercial, Land-Lot or Rental, we can help with all your real estate needs. On this Blue Bell real estate site find Blue Bell In Town and Suburban Properties, Land, Lots, Blue Bell Golf Homes for Sale, Luxury Estates, Town Homes, Blue Bell New Homes for Sale, Blue Bell Condos, Town Homes, Real Estate, Blue Bell Luxury Estates, Equestrian Estates and Blue Bell Executive Homes For Sale. Mary Mastroeni with RE/MAX Central - Blue Bell is here to help home buyers and home sellers through the real estate process in Montgomery and Bucks County. Blue Bell Homes for Sale and Blue Bell Real Estate - Buying or Selling Blue Bell Real Estate.
Servicing: Skippack, Blue Bell, Bryn Mawr, Devon, Delaware County, Wyncote, King Of Prussia, Bucks County, West Point, Lafayette Hill, Norristown, Colmar, Montgomery County, Warrington, Worcester, Bala Cynwyd, Villanova, Fairview Village, Eagleville, Narberth, Gwynedd Valley, Horsham, Montgomeryville, Haverford, Gladwyne, Chester County, Conshohocken, Glenside, Lansdale, Line Lexington, Flourtown, Wayne, Plymouth Meeting, Harleysville, Ambler, Philadelphia County, Audubon, Bridgeport, Creamery, Kulpsville, Dresher, North Wales, Mainland, Philadelphia, Lederach, Gwynedd, Chalfont, Fort Washington, Oreland, Valley Forge, Spring House, Cedars, Souderton, Hatfield